To read the full article, click here.
English (Google) Translation
Passengers and crew may have been exposed to poison gas
Dagbladet ): – When starting the engine came the smoke from the engine into the ventilation system on the plane , and there was smoke in the cabin , said Chief Knut Morten Johansen Dagbladet earlier today.
It started to break sharply from SK4743 headed to Brussels from gate 10 at Oslo Airport Gardermoen, when the plane was taking off on the runway this morning.
Firefighters were called in , and the plane with 163 passengers on board were evacuated.
– Classic smoke in cabin event
– Smoke generation coming from the engine seems to be a classic ” smoke in cabin ” event , says Pål Molander at the National Institute of Occupational Health (NIOH ) .
Molander says he can not comment specifically about the incident with SAS plane at the airport this morning , but notes that STAMI previously completed a research project in which they concluded that there had been toxic substances into the cabin after a similar episode of smoke in a Norwegian airliner .
– We went in and examined after the incident and found when increased instances of organophosphates in the cabin , says Pål Molander Dagbladet.
May damage the nervous system
It was the spring of 2011 the Norwegian researchers at STAMI could prove toxic organophosphates in the air as passengers and crew breathe. The toxins can damage the nervous system and trigger psychosis in people .
In a study published in the Journal of Environmental Monitoring , researchers discovered ten times elevated levels of the organophosphate TCP nervegiftige in cabin and cockpit in a Norwegian passenger who had smoke in the cabin from the engine.
It was after Dagbladet extensive series of articles about toxic organophosphates in turbine and hydraulic oils which began in 2003, the National Institute of Occupational Health (NIOH ) received public funding for their research project .
Turbine oils used in aircraft engines contain chemical substances under high temperatures may develop into nerve gas similar compounds.
In case of leakage or spillage of oil turbine oil in the aircraft engine , similar to nerve gas connection occur when it gets hot enough. Since the aircraft obtains breathing air from the engines , they poisonous gases find their way to the cabin and cockpit air.
– May have been exposed
Occupational hygienist Halvor Erik Stein oljefagforeningen Safe says that the evacuation of the SAS plane at the airport this morning similar to the internationally referred to as a ” fume incident .”
– Allows passengers and crew have been exposed to very toxic substances. Since smoke development is not due to fire , the cause is usually an oil leak in the engine, or waste oil in the engine as a result of flooding , says Erik Stein told Dagbladet .
Information manager Knut Morten Johansen of SAS says this about the event :
– There are quite a speculation. The cabin crew are saying is that the smoke had an odor that is used when the trainer. It is not toxic or harmful in any way. It shall also extremely little oil for it to be smoke , and then pulled into the cabin through the ventilation system from the engines where all the air in the cabin comes from.
Halvor Erik Stein has been involved in this issue for years, because gas turbines on offshore platforms can give workers the same kind of exposure as aircraft engines can provide crew and passengers .
Erik Stein sits on the board of GCAQE , an international association of more than 20 pilot and cabin crew unions , who are concerned with issues related to air quality in aircraft.
Now he wants to know if Boeing 737-800 machine that had to be evacuated today have had previous problems with fumes in the cockpit or cabin .
– I mean SAS must provide the technical history of this aircraft . It is not uncommon for an aircraft that has such an event also had previous incidents , said Erik Stein.
– It’s written report on the matter, and this is sent to the CAA , which also follows up on such things . In this case the steam / smoke is engine related, so this is not relevant, since the engines replaced and exchanged between flyindividider , says Knut Morten Johansen.
– Passengers should be monitored
There are regular reports of forced landings by gas or smoke in international aviation. Gas Events can be associated with visible smoke , but can also be invisible. Sometimes smells encounter an odor reminiscent of old socks , while other times it is odorless.
– There is a problem that the aircraft is not equipped with sensors that capture and alerts if toxic gases occurs in the cockpit or cabin . It should be followed whether any of the passengers who were on board the SAS flight evacuated today are bad afterwards , says Erik Stein and elaborates:
– Ideally it should have been taken blood tests, but it should at least sent out a questionnaire afterwards. Recent research shows that some people are particularly vulnerable to this type of poisoning, says occupational hygienists .
– We ‘ve given the offer to passengers already. If anyone feels unwell , they shall contact us for further action if necessary. We take these things very seriously , although it was not dramatic in any way. In addition to the routine written report , so we also follow up the event in retrospect . The security , in connection with all types of events , we have good routines with us , says Knut Morten Johansen of SAS.