They, along with the three pilots, had to be taken to hospital after they made an emergency landing
TOXIC fumes being leaked into an aeroplane cabin caused flight attendants to become so “spaced out” that they “stuffed food into their mouths” and wandered around “lost”, a report has revealed.
The flight attendants, who worked for British Airways, were on an Airbus A380 super jumbo jet at the time of the incident in which they vomited, and became so unwell they were forced to use emergency oxygen.
A leaked report, written by the cabin service director (CSD) – the most senior grade of flight attendant who was in charge of the 22-strong cabin crew on the BA flight from San Francisco to London on October 25, revealed the dangerous incident in which suspected “toxic fumes” were detected, The Sunday Times reports.
At least one crew member became is said to have become so unwell that he curled up on the floor and put a blanket over his head.
Others displayed bizarre behaviour including “stuffing” food into their mouths while using oxygen masks and wandering around “lost” in the cabin.
The captain declared an emergency, telling air traffic control that the problem was “toxic gas-type fumes”.
After the plane landed all of the flight attendants and the three pilots were rushed to hospital.
BA later blamed an “odour event”, prompting claims by the Unite union that it was downplaying the health risks of potentially toxic fumes in aircraft cabins.
The airline had been criticised for failing to offer protection to travellers.
Following the admission, last month a former flight attendant claimed she had suffered serious health problems after being “poisoned” by toxic fumes while working for British Airways.
For the full report click here